Today Mia started daycare. She was supposed to start yesterday, but we forgot to get her immunization certificate, so Mike kept her one more day. This morning, as we packed her into her carrier, Mike said, "What if I kept her another week? We could start her next week." So we considered that for awhile. Ultimately, we got real with ourselves and admitted we could keep putting it off, but it wouldn't make it any easier when the time came. So off we went.
The drop off went okay. She has her own crib, changing table and dresser there, so I filled them with her blankets, toys and clothes. We talked to the teachers for a few minutes, then put her on a play mat since she loves to kick. She just went to town, so we said good-bye and went out to drop off her paperwork and speak to the director. It was about that time I started crying, and I looked at Mike and he had tears in his eyes. We know she is in great hands, but it was hard to leave our baby with strangers, nonetheless.
When I picked her up this afternoon she was laying on the floor with the other babies, but she was crying. It was a weak little cry, so she was probably just getting fussy. I walked right over to her and picked her up. As soon as she saw it was me she smiled, and when I said her name she started laughing. It was this deep, throaty laugh that made me laugh too. I sat down in the rocking chair with her and just talked to her for awhile. It felt so good to see that smile, and to know she was okay.
I took her for a walk tonight, and just watched her while we walked. She's finally found her fingers. She's shoved those fists into her mouth for awhile now, but today she was sucking on just a couple fingers at a time. She also wrapped her arms around my neck when I held her tonight, probably one of the most amazing feelings I've ever experienced. She just buried her face into my neck and wrapped her little arms around me, and my heart literally skipped a beat. I was getting ready to put her into her crib, but feeling her cling to me, I couldn't let her down. I went to the rocking chair and just held her. My girl. She has truly stolen my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment