For Mike's Christmas gift, I surprised him with plane tickets to visit Kenny and Robyn in San Francisco. He left on Friday, the day after my contraction incident, with a little trepidation. Turns out this was also the weekend Mom went out of town with her high school girlfriends, and Dad and Sue were on a Mexican cruise. Not a good weekend for the Bean to make an appearance! I was a good girl and did my best to minimize my chances of giving birth by laying on the couch Friday night.
Yesterday Amy and I had lunch and got pedicures, painting our toes UK blue in preparation for the Florida game. Somehow the team must not have gotten notice, because it didn't help them pull out a win. During the game I kept noticing how cold it was getting in the house. The temperature got down to 8 degrees last night and my heat didn't seem to be working. I cranked it up to 80 and let the dogs get in bed with me, hoping their doggy heat would keep us warm. Right before I went to bed I also noticed the smoke detectors chirping, indicating the batteries need changing. Of course the loudest one was the one right outside my bedroom door. I'm too short to reach them to change anything, so I pulled the covers over my head and did my best to go to sleep.
I woke up at about 6:30 this morning and the air in the house was frigid. Cold air was blowing from the vents. The temperature outside was -7 with the wind chill. I decided to just turn the "heat" off to keep it from getting colder. I sat around in a toboggan, several layers of clothes, and a couple of blankets until I thought Bruce would be up. He said he would call around to see if he could figure out what to do. I also called Mike's mom, Carol, who suggested I turn on the oven to at least get some heat going in the house. That was a great suggestion, and it kept me from getting too icy. Bruce finally called to say he and his brother Henry were on their way to fix my heat. By the time they left the house was a balmy 57 degrees and it only got better from there. I spent the rest of the day laying with the dogs and watching reality TV.
No comments:
Post a Comment