Friday, August 9, 2013

My greatest joy is being their mother...

I sit here today feeling overwhelmed by my blessings. I have a new job I enjoy and that allows me more free time to devote to my family. My family and friends are healthy and happy. I have an amazing husband. He is a true partner, encouraging me to realize my dreams, while supporting our family with his presence and involvement in a way many men still don't. I love him more today than I ever have. And I have two healthy, sweet, funny, beautiful girls. I am overcome with emotion at the depth of my love for them. Knowing I brought these two amazing creatures into this world is my greatest joy. The other day I heard Christina Perri's "A Thousand Years" and I cried as I listened to the lyrics. Although they are meant to describe a romantic love, they describe how I feel about my girls. As a child, teen, and young adult I had trouble picturing my life, what I wanted to do, where I wanted to end up, and whether I would end up married or single. The only thing I've ever know for certain from the time I could form the thoughts is that I wanted to be a mother and I wanted little girls. So in my heart, I have spent all my life waiting for them. All along I believed I would find them. I have loved these girls for a thousand years, and I will love them for a thousand more. There is so much I hope for them in life. I am graduating tomorrow with my MBA. I absolutely struggled to finish my education while enduring miscarriages, working full time, caring for Mia, being pregnant with Callie and finishing while she was just weeks old. I did that for them, so they will know the tremendous value in education. It will open doors and create paths for them that never will appear otherwise. I want them to know that even if they are unsure where to head or where they want to end up, they will find answers simply by getting their education. They will learn so much about their strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes, and they will have a piece of paper afterward that will grant them more respect and possibilities than without it. If they are uncertain what they want to be, I believe you can't go wrong with a business degree. After all, any job they could possibly perform will in some way be a business. Those skills will be valuable anywhere life takes them. I want my girls to be sure of themselves. Mia already demonstrates high intelligence, wit, kindness, spirit and leadership skills. I will do everything I can to help her use those skills to her advantage and for the good of others. She has the support and encouragement of a loving, extended family who believe in her, and she should listen to their advice and use it to guide her. She's a bit boy crazy right now, so I hope she learns to reign that in and focus on strengthening herself and her female relationships. I hope she develops interests and skills because they are what she enjoys, not because they are what others are doing or what she thinks others would like her to do. I hope she stays silly. That girl can make me belly laugh in ways I never imagined a child could. She is old enough now to get my silly side and sometimes it's like we have our own little comedy show together. My sweet Callie will be four months old tomorrow. She's beautiful and smiley. I hope she continues to find joy in things like smiles and tickles. She adores her sister and her sister adores her. I pray they will maintain this beautiful love and friendship throughout their lives. The love of my sister is the very reason I wanted two girls. They will always have one another. I hope they can follow our example and also develop a strong network of girlfriends. Not mean girls, who judge and criticize others, but good-hearted, funny girls who value kindness and generosity. I hope my girls are able to find lasting friends like we have, who become their extended family. I also hope Callie doesn't feel like she has to stand in her sister's shadow. She is her own person and will have her own strengths and talents. I can't wait to see where her interests lie, where she finds joy and happiness. Sometimes my anxiety gets the best of me, and I worry something will come along and take away all these blessings in my life. I spend my prayers now thanking God for the life he has given us, and praying that we will always have one another. We worked so hard for many years to get this family. It's so precious to me and I will never take it for granted.

No comments: