Friday, January 4, 2013

Christmas Update

We had a wonderful Christmas! Mia was so excited about Santa coming, but we also managed to read some of our books to remind her that the true meaning of Christmas is Jesus' birthday. Of course she focused way more on the presents, but at least she's aware.

She is growing so quickly and is incredibly bright and funny. Some recent highlights:
  • She did her tap and ballet program in early December. She is quite a star. This was the first time she actually cared about it and practiced a bit at home. I thought she was terrific and teared up with pride at her.
  • During her class song, her sunglasses kept falling on the floor and her reindeer antlers kept falling in her eyes. She made silly faces and played to the crowd, but got self-conscious about it later, saying people were laughing at her. I explained to her how they were laughing because she was so funny and cute. She seemed better once she understood that.
  • She's learning so much at school!! Addition, subtraction, vowel sounds, reading sight words, her Presidents, her states and capitals, etc. We have selected St. Aloysius for her to attend kindergarten and I completed her application today. I hope she continues to be challenged to learn as much as she has at Kayfield.
  • She's becoming quite a conversationalist. She asks thoughtful questions and loves to ask definitions of words and how things work. Even when I'm in the middle of something I give her an answer, wanting to always encourage her love of learning.
  • She has come to grips that her little sister's name will not be Bella. We agreed to give her sister Mia's middle name instead, and she was happy with that.
  • Mia lost her first tooth last night!! She was so excited, and can't wait for the tooth fairy to come tonight.
  • She is so loving toward me. She kisses my belly and strokes my face and hair as I do with her. I'm so glad she has picked up these traits.
  • She's very boy crazy. I will do my best to keep her attention on doing things because she loves them and not because she's trying to impress some boy. I'll also continue to foster her relationships with girls through team activities and friendships.
  • She starts gymnastics with Cara in a few weeks. After this session we'll start swim lessons again, to prepare for summer. She loves both and that thrills me to pieces. I want her to find activities she enjoys and in which she excels.

No comments: