Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Transitions

Miss Mia has transitioned to her new daycare room with ease. She loves her friends, her teachers and all the fun activities they do each day. They have a theme for the week (e.g. the ocean) and then all their artwork, songs, books, colors, games, numbers, etc. tie to that theme. She is having a blast! They sent home flashcards for us to use as practice for the things they are learning at school. They are laminated pieces of construction paper shaped like crayons in various colors. On one side they have the English and Spanish name of the color and on the back they have created a song to teach the kids how to spell the color. The songs are to the tune of familiar songs like Bingo and Row Your Boat. Mia loves them, as she does any type of flashcard. She also started going on the big potty in her new room, although she is not yet potty trained. All the kids sit on the potty at the same times each day to get them in the routine. I can’t tell you how happy I am with her daycare. There is no way she would receive this much socialization and education if I were home with her, no matter how much I would enjoy the time with her. I’m grateful everyday that we found a place that makes her so happy and keeps us so reassured.

We’ve had fun with our girl this week. The weather has turned nice on us (finally!) and we took her to the park. She loves to slide and climb the wall on the gym set but she does not like to swing at all, even with Mommy or Daddy. We have also taken walks with her since it’s warmed up and she still enjoys those, although she doesn’t like to sit in the stroller for as long as she used to. She prefers Mommy “hold you”. She also spent some time riding the motorized car she got from Santa. She’s quite the little driver!

Mia had her two-year check-up on Monday and she’s still growing like a weed. She weighs 28.8 pounds (75%), is 36 inches tall (95%) and her head is 19 inches (75%). Her iron is still a little low so we’ll continue to supplement with a daily vitamin, but otherwise she’s doing great.

I had a couple of rough days this week, missing my girl while I’m away from her. She is crazy about her daddy but is kind of a mama’s girl. She likes me to hold her and rock her and is always saying “’Mon Mommy”. She often cries when she has to leave me in the morning. For that matter, she cries outside the door when I go to the bathroom! Something about the expression on her face as Mike carried her to the car the other morning just tore me up inside. I could tell she was on the verge of crying so I quickly shut the door so she could transition into the ride to school, but thinking about the expression on her face made me cry instead. I miss her so much when I’m away from her. She’s growing up so quickly and I want to hold on to every moment. Of course I get tired and overwhelmed as any mother does, but I also see the joy in every day because I know I won’t always have this time with her. I’m already fearful of those days when she’ll be out on her own and no one will be protecting her every moment. I get anxious just thinking about anything happening to her. Mia’s smile lights me up on the inside and I know I worry only because I love her so much. But without question, being her mother is amazing and an incredible blessing greater than I ever could have imagined and well worth a couple days of worry now and then.

No comments: