Monday, August 31, 2009

Daycare

Mia was up 4-5 times an hour last night. She’s probably got a nasty sinus infection. Taking her to the doctor this afternoon. Had some drama with her daycare teachers this morning. We just don’t like them as much as her previous teachers. They aren’t so warm and fuzzy. Carol said she was watching on the webcam one day and a kid pushed Mia down. They punished the kid but didn’t really love on Mia. She was crying, following them around and they ignored her. Then another day when she was up all night, she was fussy the next day. They wrote on her sheet, “Was crying and fussing all day – NONSTOP!!!” (NONSTOP was highlighted and underlined). Does that convey concern for the child, or concern for how bad my child made their day?

This morning I told the one teacher that she wasn’t feeling well and that I was going to make a doctor’s appointment for her today. Mia was clinging to me and had her head on my chest. The teacher didn’t speak to Mia, didn’t make a move toward her, etc. She just said she’d give her some milk. So I finally put Mia in her chair about the time the second teacher walked in. She heard Mia wasn’t feeling well she said, “Oh, well this should be a fun day then.” So I picked Mia back up and said I was taking her to my Dad’s because “I don’t want to leave her with people who don’t want to take care of her.” I slammed the door and walked out. I’m waiting on a call back from the director now.

I don’t know that I want her moved, because she has lots of friends in that room and she doesn’t seem unhappy. I just want these people to understand how their actions (or lack thereof) affect the parents and children. They are in a service profession. They are paid to both educate and nurture my daughter. I don’t pay them to care for her only when she’s happy and in a good mood. I understand how hard it is to take care of a sick baby. But I also know how hard it is to leave your sick baby with someone else, and you want that person to reassure you your baby will be well cared for. Indifferent looks and comments do not reassure me, nor do they make my daughter feel better.

2 comments:

USAIDAddress Unknown said...

Wow - so sorry to hear about these issues. I hope it all works out one way or another . . . sending prayers your way.

Missy said...

Sorry you are having to go through this. This response is unacceptable and Mia deserved to be treated better. Call me if you need to.