It's so upsetting because this is not how I ever imagined my relationship with my child. I always dreamt I would be a stay-at-home mom, getting to be there for my baby's every laugh, every exploration, every milestone. Now, not only do I miss her terribly all day, when I get her home I get the frustrated, sleepy baby. Not many hugs for Mommy. The smiles are few and far between. She's ready to crash and I'm the only thing standing in her way. It really sucks, and last night I just broke down and sobbed, grieving the loss of my dream.
This morning I watched Mike carry Mia off to daycare and she was all smiles - my usual happy girl. I waved to her until I could see her no more, then I closed the door and cried again. I made the decision to rearrange my day so I could stop in and see her at daycare. I needed some time with her before the exhaustion set in. So around lunchtime I popped in, so happy to see my girl. It was story time and the kids were wild. Mia got a little fussy when she saw me, clinging to me and wanting to be held. But she was hungry and tired from her busy morning. It was so fun to see her in their baby routine. They sing songs and put away toys and wash their hands before meals. It reassured me even more that she's in a wonderful place each day. I left feeling much better.
As luck would have it, I also finished at one of our offices about a half hour early and wasn't too far away from daycare. I was able to get Mia just before 5 and that made all the difference. We stopped by McDonald's and got some ice cream, then we went home and played for an hour. We practiced some sign language and took turns brushing each other's hair (a new discovery of hers). When she started getting sleepy, she curled up on my lap and just laid there. I read her a story and when I was finished, she didn't get up, just laid there pointing to things and letting me tell her what they were. It was the most precious gift - happy time with my girl. God gave it to me just when I needed it.
3 comments:
Ahhh! It's tough isn't it? They say they reserve a lot of this type of behavior for the people they feel safest with. Lucky us.
Sounds like re-adjusting your day helped. Is she still taking a nap during the day? Is she getting enough rest for all that activity during the day?
Cara still takes two naps and while they aren't long, she needs the rest and it's obvious when she doesn't get it.
Love you.
Amen!!
We're feeling it all here too . . . certainly a comfort to "act out" sometimes around mom for some reason.
RJ still takes 2 naps as well and he's ready for bed by 7:30.
It's all gonna work itself out.
Love ya!
She's only taking one two-hour nap. They said usually the younger kids will take an additional nap but Mia isn't. I think there's just too much going on for her.
I was starting to panic, thinking she just wasn't bonding with me or that she's growing out of her cuddliness. It was so great to spend that time with her and know my happy, snuggly baby is still here. It's reassuring to know you guys are experiencing it too, and I'm not alone!
Post a Comment