Tuesday, February 24, 2009

One year check-up and big news

Miss Mia had her 12 month check up yesterday. She weighs 21 lbs, 12 oz, putting her in the 50% for weight. She is now 30 inches long, putting her in the 75% for height. Since she’s become so active, her weight has really leveled off. She eats like a horse, so she must burn calories like crazy! The doctor tested her blood and said her iron is pretty low. She gave me a list of iron-rich foods so I can monitor that better. We initially discussed taking Mia off formula and moving entirely to whole milk, but after hearing of the iron deficiency, I’ll continue giving her formula for her morning and evening bottles, doing just milk during the day.

Mia also had fluid on her ear. Since she has tubes, it’s not an infection, just drainage. Her white blood count was a little elevated, fighting that, so we got some ear drops to help dry it up. History has shown her ear troubles often come with teeth, and I think I’ve spotted fang number two poking through, so that makes sense.

Otherwise, Mia is doing great, hitting those “Oh-So-Important” milestones. She got her vaccinations and did not like those at all, but recovered pretty quickly.

In other huge news, when I picked Mia up from daycare her teachers gave me paperwork indicating she’ll start transitioning to a new room on March 9. It will be complete on the 19th. I have to admit, I got teary-eyed. It’s a shock that she’s growing up so quickly and is ready to move up, but it’s also sad that she will no longer be with Ms. Norma, Ms. Donna and Ms. Erica. Mia loves them and so do we. Ms. Donna and Ms. Norma completely reassured me that this is the room they would have chosen for her, had they been allowed to do so, and that they think she will really be happy there. My co-worker’s son is currently in her new room and she said it’s the best room as well. Mia’s teachers said she’s just bored in their room now, ready to explore more and learn new things.

Mia will be in her next room approximately a year. Some things will be different there. She will need to wear closed-toe and closed-heel shoes every day, as she will play outside daily. She will have to arrive by 8:15 or she will miss breakfast. She will do art every day, sitting in little chairs at little tables. She will no longer sleep in a crib, but in a short cot. There will be a lot of changes for her, so we’ll try to start a few things now to ease her transition. I put shoes on her today, and I’m considering going to a consignment store to find a little table and chairs (something I’ve wanted for her anyway). Next week she’ll start napping on a cot in her current room too. The biggest change will be adjusting to new people, so I’m glad they will ease her into it. Hopefully things will go smoothly for all of us, but especially for my big baby girl.

In other "big news" Mia was pivoting last night while she walked. We were in her playroom and I was sitting against the wall. She had a toy in the middle of the room that she would walk to, pivot on one foot to turn back around, and walk back to me. She usually fell at some point in the process, but she'd get right back up and do it again. She's so persistent and very patient with herself. I'm so proud of her!

No comments: