Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Transitions

Ms. Mia has had a busy and tiring couple of weeks. She participated in her first charity walk for the American Heart Association with Mommy and Daddy, Nana and Papa Wilson, Aunt Pat and cousins Sarah, Katie and Emily. It was a lot of fun. Another first was eating pancakes with Mommy! Of course Mia got no butter or syrup, but she loved them all the same. She’s doing great with solids, so we’ve started introducing mixed baby foods and some other harmless table foods.

Mia has completely transitioned to the crawler room at daycare. It was a huge disruption for her and last week was pretty rough. Her teachers were so sad to see her go. Ms. Elizabeth even crocheted a baby blanket for Mia, and there were tears shed by all of us on her last day with them. They clearly loved Mia from the start and that made it so much easier for us to leave her there each day. Her teachers were all blessings to us and we will never forget them. Mia’s new room has a defined schedule, so the babies are doing the same things at the same times. Mia now gets only a short nap in the morning and a two-hour nap from 12:30-2:30, so when I pick her up she is exhausted. She likes shorter, frequent naps. They are doing a good job with her, but the schedule has been an adjustment. Last week she didn’t sleep well at night because she was so out of sorts, but the past two nights there has not been a peep out of her from 7:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m.!

Mia and I have also been battling allergies. We’ve both been congested, coughing and sneezing. I’ve taken Ben@dryl to knock me out at night, but she’s been fine without medicine. Hers seems to be clearing up on its own.

Mia is ready to be more mobile. One part of our daily routine is that I sit in the chair with my knees propped up on the ottoman, and put her on my lap, facing me. We talk and play games and sing songs. But she’s getting restless and is not satisfied to just sit and talk to me anymore. She wants the remote or the phone or wants a drink from my cup or to pet the dogs. I’m very aware that we’re transitioning to a different era, and my little baby will no longer be happy just sitting in my lap, looking at me. Although I will always be happy to see her learn and grow, it makes me sad that I’m losing a time with her that has been so very precious to me.

I told Mike the other day that we are going to have to have another child, because I love Mia so much that I will smother her if she’s the only one we have. I am so consumed with her. I think about her all day, wondering what she’s up to. When I’m at home with her, I just sit and stare at her while she’s playing. I talk to her, sing to her, make faces to get her to smile. At this age, it’s great to be this into her, but one day she’ll want to hang out with other kids, or stay the night with someone and if she’s my only focus, I think I’ll worry myself crazy. I have had no problem leaving her when Mike and I have things going on with MODA or when we go on a date, but that’s because she’s with our parents. What will I do when she wants to stay the night with some kid and I can’t be there?! I will be worried sick! I won’t even leave her at the gym daycare for an hour because I worry something will happen to her while I’m on the treadmill. So yeah, we’ll have to have another child so Mia and every breath she takes will not be my sole focus for the rest of our lives.

Speaking of that, I did my progesterone test last week and the levels came back elevated. The doctor said that with my levels as high as they were, there was a good possibility I was already pregnant again. I’m not due to start until tomorrow, so I haven’t missed a period, but all pregnancy tests have come back negative. She said when we do get pregnant again, I need to come in immediately for hcg tests every 48 hours, take progesterone supplements, and get ultrasounds to monitor the fetus. I love her. She takes really good care of me.

Mike and I celebrated our two-year wedding anniversary on Monday. We stuffed ourselves at the Melting P0t. It was so yummy! We've had so many changes these past two years, but I can't imagine going through all this with anyone but him. We are well-suited for one another and I'm very blessed to have him as my partner. I love you Mikey!

In other news, Margo and Grant found out they are expecting a baby girl! She will be almost one year younger than Ms. Mia, which Margo and I find cool since she is almost one year older than me. They will be great friends for sure! Melissa and Derek are expecting Woodson any day now. We have a Girls Group family outing planned this Sunday and we aren't sure they'll make it until then. Good luck!

No comments: