Monday, August 25, 2008

6 month check-up

Mia visited the doctor today for her 6 month check-up. She weighed in at 16 pounds 13 ounces and was 26 and 1/4 inches long. She's now in the 70th percentile in each category, not so far out of the normal range. She received two shots and one oral vaccine, and was not too happy about those shots. She has not reacted too badly to them afterward though, with very little fussing so far today. The doctor said there's another tooth about to break through, her ears finally look normal and she's reaching all her developmental milestones just as she should.

Mia has some new tricks. The first is standing while holding onto furniture. We stand her up next to something (the ottoman is just perfect) and put her hands on top of it. She'll hold herself up there for a good minute or two before getting tired. She also keeps making noises that sound like "hi", so we're trying to teach her to wave. That combo will really impress all her baby friends! ;-) She's making so many different noises these days, and since they're new, I'm not used to them. She does this thing where she audibly sucks in her breath then grunts it out. The first time I heard it we were in the car and I thought she was suffocating. I nearly pulled the car over! Of course when I looked in the rearview mirror she just smiled her dimply little smile at me and I knew she was fine.

I've discovered that when Mia is around, I have a hard time looking at anything or anyone else. I'm completely captivated by her. I love watching the world through her eyes and seeing her face light up as she takes it all in. Sometimes I think she's the one teaching me, reminding me to laugh more, smile more and recognize the wonder in everything around me. She's such an incredible blessing and I love her with all my heart.

No comments: