Thursday, January 24, 2008

A little whine with my cheese

I have REALLY tried not to be a big fat whiner during my pregnancy. After all the ups and downs we had at the beginning, I am so grateful to even be pregnant, so I figure I can endure whatever aches and pains come along with it. But man, my body HURTS and I just have to bitch about it, just this once!

My back hurts almost non-stop now, but especially when I get up for my 5 or 6 trips to the bathroom each night (and remember, I don't always fall back to sleep after these trips, so sometimes I'm missing out on 3 or 4 hours of sleep each night). My back gets so tight I actually have to hold onto the bed as I make my way to the bathroom so I don't fall down. I also get sharp pains in my nether-regions because that's where the Bean's feet are positioned. As "he" moves his feet around, I'm literally getting my ass kicked, from the inside! In addition, all that pressure is causing some swelling in that area. Sometimes it hurts to just sit, and I don't even dare try to cross my legs most days!

When I walk, all the pressure of the Bean's butt sits on my bladder and it's becoming very painful. I feel every single step and now completely understand why women waddle. I'll do anything to try to ease that pain! Since the Bean is breech, he likes to stretch out sideways, stretching my skin very tight and making it quite difficult to breathe. Then there's the constipation, which is far more intense than it was the first trimester. The gas pains are sharp also, adding to the symphony of pain that has become my midsection.

Despite my allergy medications, I still battle congestion and sleep with two pillows each night. This position is unfamiliar to me, so it's also contributing to my back pain. I'm blowing my nose constantly and have even gotten bloody noses on several occasions. Mike says I now snore and occasionally talk in my sleep too.

Shaving my legs has become quite a chore. I only do it about once a week now, usually prior to my doctor's appointment. I can't see half of what I'm shaving, and to be honest, I really don't care at this point. A hit or miss job is fine with me. Last time I shaved, I swung my leg up to the shower wall and nearly fell out out of the tub in shock. Whose ham hock was that??! My ankles were swollen, my knees were puffy and my calves were just fat! That's probably another good reason why shaving doesn't seem so appealing to me at this point. Who wants to look at that? One area I do stay on top of though is my armpits. That's because I'm experiencing another joy of pregnancy that I'd never heard of before it happened to me: darkened armpit skin! They look hairy no matter what!! Yeah, it's so weird.

I won't go into the joyful things that I've experienced this week since the passing of my mucous plug, or the little surprises I've had in my bra now that there's colostrum there. But I have to say I feel better now that I've vented. I can hopefully suck it up and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Right there with you sister...but just in a few different ways. Hang in there. Bean will be here soon.

USAIDAddress Unknown said...

You guys are crackin' me up! I'm right there with ya sistas!

I finally expressed my concerns over this topic with mom last week. I now take baths only when I need to shave (too many close calls of falling down), but they're an experience too . . .slipping and sliding in a tub when you have absolutely no ab muscles is an interesting experience to say the least. I had been shaving only once a week until I got caught off guard at the doctor's last week. I thought they wouldn't be doing any pelvic exams until my next appointment so I had the hairiest legs this side of the Missippi (Dawn had that award for the other side!), but was surprised when they said they were going to be swabbing me for that bacteria (the one where you have to be on antibiotics for delivery - I can't rememeber the exact name of it). Well oh boy did that doctore see a beautiful pair of hairy legs!! Yikes - I was SO embarrassed! I told the nurse about it and she jokingly told me that I needed to be ready at any time now!! Humm . . . I thought about that some and she had a pretty good point. How gross would I feel if my water all of a sudden broke and my leg hairs were beyond belief! That would make me completely uncomfortable the whole delivery (although at some point I'm sure that would be the farthest thing from my mind). So . . . now I am trying to be better about shaving the legs, but I admit there's just no good logisitical way of going about this task! SO glad you decided to bring it out in the open! :)

I've had the joy of the colostrum now since about November (well at least on my right side . . .what does this mean is the left side not working!??! I've been a little concerned!!). Luckily it has always been a non embarrasing situation so far. But, I did start wondering if I should start wearing the pads? Are you? What if this happens at work or something??!!?

Oh the joys of pregnancy! Glad to hear we're all enjoying it so much! It's been such fun going through these joys with you gals! :)

Dawn said...

Yeah, it definitely makes it easier to know I'm not alone! Not wearing nursing pads yet because there isn't that much, but I've heard of expectant moms needing to do that. And my right breast leaks more than my left. I'm sure it's no big deal.