Friday, August 24, 2007

Insomnia?

On two separate occasions in my life I have experienced insomnia. Both were brought on by stressful events, and each time the sleeplessness lasted about a year. When I was in those periods I was not myself. I was exhausted, moody, jumpy and overdramatic. I've always been afraid it would come back, and this week it appears it may have.

I read that insomnia can occur in the second trimester, so I'm not sure if it's my intense fear of sleeplessness that has brought it on, or if it's a combination of jet lag and the pregnancy that got it started. Whatever the cause, I just hope it's temporary. I purchased a prenatal yoga video last night to do in the evenings to relax. Last night I also used some breathing techniques to help get me to sleep and after about an hour they seemed to work. I understand that babies keep you awake all the time and I need to get used to decreased sleep, but this is very different. It's being exhausted, but your body not allowing you to get the rest you need when the opportunity comes. Hopefully it will pass.

No comments: