So I arrived home from Orlando on Wednesday night, after a long delay in the airport. After saying hi to Mike and the doggies, I informed Mike that I'd never started my period. I was pretty frustrated, because I thought I'd have to call the doctor to get yet another prescription to start the flow. We were hungry, so Mike went to the kitchen to make some dinner. I told him I was going to take a test and I'd be back in a minute.
I pulled out the remaining pregnancy stick from the box. The other one was already gone. I'd used that at about day 30, and it had been negative. I peed on the stick and busied myself with pulling up my pants. I glanced over at the stick and noticed a faint line I'd never seen there before: the makings of a plus sign. I continued staring at it, my pants still at my knees. I waited and waited for it to darken, disbelief clouding my brain. I told myself I was reading it wrong and finished pulling up my pants. But it continued to darken. I grabbed the box, thinking the second line was too faint to be an accurate result. The box informed me, "any line, no matter how faint, indicates a positive result." I jerked open the bathroom door and blindly made my way down the hallway.
As I approached the kitchen, the opened refrigerator door was blocking the entrance. I grabbed it, slammed it shut and grabbed both of Mike's arms. As I pulled him to me, I said, "It's positive! Oh my god! Oh my god!" Mike scooped me into his arms and asked, "You're pregnant?!" I said, "Yes. Oh my god! Oh my god!" to which he replied, "That's awesome!" We stood there hugging and saying "oh my god" for a few minutes, until I said, "We need another test. I don't want to get my hopes up."
Mike headed to the drug store to purchase another box of tests while I drank glasses of water. When he returned home he'd purchased the tests that actually spell out "pregnant" or "not pregnant." The second test confirmed the result so we jumped in the care and headed to Mom's house.
It was about 10:00 p.m. at this point so it was really unusual for us to stop by that late. Bruce answered the door and I made up a lame excuse about going out to dinner and just wanted to stop by. As mom walked into the hallway and asked what we were doing there, I told her I wanted to see what she thought about being a grandma. Her first question was, "You or Missy?" My sister has also been trying to get pregnant. I said, "Me!" Then we all spent the next 10 minutes hugging and laughing.
Our next stop was Mike's parents' house. It was about 10:30 p.m. when we arrived. As soon as we walked in the door he asked them, "So, do you want to be Mamaw and Papaw, or Grandmother and Grandfather?" His mom started crying and we all hugged and laughed. Needless to say, everyone was extremely happy.
I believed my dad was still out of town on a trip, so we then headed home. I called my best friend, Margo and told her the news. I also called my sister, Missy. That was a very tough call to make, because Missy has been trying to conceive for well over a year. She started taking Clomid herself last month and the result of her pregnancy test was negative. She was asleep when I called, and said she was excited for me, but I could hear the disappointment over her own situation. It made me sad for her. She did inform me that Dad was home from his trip, so I called him next. I could hear him beaming through the phone when I told him he's going to be a papaw. He told me he was proud of me and happy for us, then rubbed it in that I wouldn't be able to have any drinks in Destin!
Before going to bed that night, I took a third pregnancy test, just to be sure. It was also positive, so I went to sleep dreaming of the little baby growing inside of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment