Monday, June 2, 2014

Dear Callie...

 Please don't think for one moment that because I don't write here as often as I did with your sister that I am not as enamored with you as I was with Mia, or that I don't hang on to your every expression or achievement. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am so absolutely smitten with you, to the point where I have to watch Mia's jealousy. She's used to being our only child and the only one who captivated us, so we have to be careful that you girls know we are head over heels for you both equally.

One of the differences in my posting is that blogging simply isn't the "popular" communication format anymore. Now everyone uses Facebook for quick, daily updates to family and friends. I talk about you on there ENDLESSLY! :-)  Also, I was alone more when Mia was a baby. Daddy had his store, so once Mia was in bed I had a lot more time to reflect and write. Now I have two girls to keep me busy and we do so much more as a family. We are always together having fun, so there isn't so much free time to write! I was also less confident as a mother with Mia. I was figuring it all out and to a degree I felt pressure. Aunt Miss and some friends also had babies, so I used my writing to build confidence in my abilities and almost to reaffirm that I was making the best decisions for Mia. Now I'm secure in my skills as a mother and don't need to write about them for confidence.

Regardless, I am so afraid I'm going to forget timelines that you will one day be curious to know. So I'll try to jot down a few thoughts now, before I go pick you girls up from school and the party gets started!

  • You had a wonderful first birthday party! All your grandparents, your cousins, aunts and uncles and friends (Macee, Dylan, Grayson) were here. You wore little ruffled pants with "Birthday Girl" on the bottom, an adorable pink dress that Nana got you and a big tulle bow that Mommy made. You ate yummy cupcakes made by Emie, and had so much fun opening your presents. Some of your "big" presents were Hershey stock given to you by Nana and Papa and an heirloom ring that belonged to your great grandmother, Helen, that Mamaw gave to you. Mommy cried when giving that to you. What a special gift. Many of your family members also pitched in for a swing set for you girls, but Mommy and Daddy have since decided to use that money to join the neighborhood pool this summer, to get you girls swimming and socializing.
  • By your first birthday you could say mama, dada and "hi dih-dih", which means "hi doggies".
  • At nearly 14 months old, you still only have your bottom two teeth. However, I can see your top left front tooth about to poke through any day!
  • It sure doesn't stop you from eating though! You have a great appetite and love to try new foods. Mamaw fed you your first Cheeto this weekend and you loved it. Some of your favorite foods are bananas, blueberries, edamame, and waffles. You don't really care for the texture of pasta, and often spit that out. You are also very generous in dropping food to the doggies during each meal. :-)
  • You have had one illness after the other! In the past couple months you've had bronchitis, strep, pink eye and numerous ear infections. You got tubes inserted in your first surgery on May 15. Dr. Murphy (who did Mia's tubes) performed the surgery and you did very well. Mommy and Daddy were both with you and stayed with you that afternoon. You definitely seem to hear and walk better since getting them.
  • You took your first steps the night before your 1st birthday. You walked about 5 steps between Mommy and Daddy. You love walking to us, and especially to Mia. You get close to us and just fall into our arms, laughing and smiling. We all love you so much and just hug on you and swing you around.
  • You moved to the Toddler room at school May 12. You now eat your meals at a table, in bowls with spoons (that you may or may not use). You also nap on a cot and not in a bed. You make artwork and Mommy, Daddy and Mia all go nuts over it. We think you're quite the artist!
  • You are walking now, really with confidence just in the past couple days. You still love to come stand in front of us, turn around with your back to us, grab our fingers and start walking. You make us walk you wherever you want to go, and we get a kick out of seeing where you take us.
  • You love playing with your kitchen and will occupy yourself for very long periods of time, opening and closing doors and putting items in and out of the cabinets. 
  • You and Mia are so wonderful to watch. She adores you and you want to be right next to her. You go fall into her arms for her to hold you, and she can't get enough. She loves to pick you up, play games with you, read to you, etc. The other night when she and Daddy weren't here, you walked me around the house looking for her. When you realized she wasn't here, you started crying, saying, "Meeeee!" over and over. It was so sad to see how much you missed your sissy!
  • You can now climb and are giving us a run for our money keeping you out of danger. You like to climb on the couch and try to get over the back. Mia is wonderful in helping us keep an eye on you.
  • You can now say "Me" for Mia, "ssssss" for sissy, "bobby" for baby, bye-bye, up, all done, duck, "bok bok" (what the ducks say), and "uf" (what the doggies say). You also point wherever you want to go, so you certainly know your mind!
We are crazy about you, baby girl. I feel blessed every single moment of every single day to be your Mommy.

No comments: