Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The best smile in the whole world

Each night, after we read our books, Mia falls asleep with a smile on her face. Sometimes she has her arms wrapped around my neck. Sometimes she rests her head against my shoulder. Sometimes I'm snuggled up behind her with my arms wrapped around her. Regardless, right before she falls asleep, she opens her eyes, looks at me, and smiles. Each night, I'm overwhelmed by my love for her and overcome with joy at the love she obviously feels for me.

I realize her smile comes from comfort and security of having her mommy snuggling with her, but that smile also means something much more significant to me. Each night I'm reminded how fortunate I am to be able to provide my daughter a life where she's happy every night. It often makes me think of the millions of children around the world who don't smile as they drift off to sleep each night. I think of the children who are ill or dying. I think of those who are abused or neglected. I think of those who are homeless or hungry, or those who live amidst war or terror. I think of how their mothers must feel as their babies drift off to sleep at night. How scared they must be for their children and how they must pray desperately that their children find a way to safety, security and happiness in their lifetimes.

So each night I thank God with all my heart that my daughter knows no illness, abuse, hunger or terror, and I pray that no matter where she is each night for the rest of her life, she will always fall asleep with that sweet, happy smile on her face.

No comments: