Saturday, January 15, 2011

Fertility Update

I haven't provided a fertility update in awhile, primarily because there has been nothing to report. In September I had laparoscopic surgery to determine if there were any causes of infertility not identified during the previous procedures. At that time they did find moderate endometriosis as well as some cysts. Everything was removed and I was told we would probably be successful trying on our own. We decided to try naturally through the end of the year.

Unfortunately, I did not ovulate, and without ovulation you can't get pregnant. So I've been pretty depressed and disappointed we were unable to get pregnant on our own. Infertility is one of those things that is in your head every single day. You always know what day of your cycle you are on. You pay attention to every little twinge, mood or "symptom". You can't get away from it, plus you always hear that biological clock ticking. It has not helped things that I turned 38 this month and that sends my likelihood of getting pregnant further down the chart.

All that being said, we will start the Follistim shots again tomorrow. We did that unsuccessfully last spring, but statistics show you have the best shot of getting pregnant within three tries. We increased my dosage this time and I will also use an estrogen patch, progesterone supplements and daily baby aspirin. Please say prayers that this works...and gives us ONE healthy, happy child.

1 comment:

nichole street said...

Praying for you and your sweet family! I completely understand all about infertility and the power of prayer! Me and my husband are starting our journey this month with IUI. Having patience is soooo hard.