I've written here many times about what an incredible man I've married, and how blessed I am that he's the father of my child. I am awed by his dedication, patience, generosity and courage every day. Mia is so lucky to have him as a father, and today I am thankful that she will have the same type of devoted father that I am blessed with as well.
No matter what life brings us, Dad always puts it into perspective by showing us the humor in every situation. When he went on strike one summer and money got tight, we made a made a family joke out of all the different types of frozen patties we ate. When we were teenagers, Dad reminded us to "get over" ourselves by skipping through parking lots or acting "retarded" when he was with us. When Grandma Ruby died, we consoled ourselves by displaying a picture of Grandma and Richard (her male blow-up doll) in a prime spot in the funeral home.
Our parents taught us the joy of being outside, and we used to camp every summer. Dad taught us to swim and fish and grill on a campfire. One of my favorite parts of all our summer vacations was the drive with Dad. He would play the oldies channels on the radio, teaching us such classics as Love Potion Number 9 and Do Wah Diddy. He also taught us other great songs that I've already begun singing to Mia: Fried Boogers and There Was Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
Dad and Mom taught us the art of conversation from a very young age. Every night we'd go around the kitchen table as we ate dinner, each sharing details of our day. Missy and I heard about our parent's day and got to hear how they worked through their problems. Dad didn't just sit there while we talked. He was very engaged in the conversation, so we knew he cared about us and our lives. Dad also knows how to listen, an art typically not mastered by men. He knows when we just need to be heard and when we need his wise advice. Luckily that love and support continues today, and I still find myself working out my problems with him at the kitchen table.
Dad is patient and he's devoted. There were very few ball games he didn't attend, he could be found chaperoning dances and field trips, and he helped at talent shows and coached our tee ball team. Dad also spoils us through our stomachs. The man can cook, and his roast beef, apple pie and chicken and dumplings are specialties!
They say girls end up marrying someone that reminds them of their own father. In many ways I did just that. Both Mike and my Dad are funny, lovable, kind, family-oriented men and both have loved me through many ups and downs. I am so blessed to have them in my life and I am happy that Mia will grow up in their love and support as well. Happy Father's Day to both of you.
1 comment:
So perfectly put.
Post a Comment