- Mia was jaundiced in the hospital and lost over 10% of her body weight, mostly due to the fact that my milk never truly "came in". We started her on formula, supplemented (in very small part) by my breast milk. I'm happy to report that at her doctor's appointment today she weighed in at 7 lbs 10 oz and has grown an inch and a quarter, up to 20 1/4. What a big girl!
- I have had a lot of feelings of inadequacy due to the breast milk situation. Mike and I went to see a lactation consultant last week and she said my lack of milk could very well be from my p0lycystic ovarian syndrome. That would also explain why my breasts never grew larger during pregnancy. She still charged us a ton for the visit, and advised us to rent a hospital grade pump, instructing me to pump 8 times a day. I'm also taking herbal supplements, feeding Mia a bottle, and having her nurse, in addition to the pumping. When I follow this regimen, feeding Mia can take up to two hours at times. It's exhausting and I've had just about all I can take. It wears me out mentally, a constant reminder that I'm unable to do something I'd always dreamed of sharing with my child. I absolutely want to continue to pump and give her whatever milk I can, but 8 times a day seems ridiculous to me. I never would be able to leave the house if I followed that plan.
- Mia loves sleeping in her room in her crib, so Mike and I are currently sleeping in the living room, which lies between her room and the kitchen. It's made getting up with her at night so much easier (we have a split floor plan) and we are getting much more sleep than when we tried keeping her in the room with us at night.
- Mia also loves to be swaddled, and she loves her aquarium mobile in her crib. As long as she's swaddled, has her paci and can watch the mobile, she's set!
- It's amazing how I feel even closer to Mike now that we share a child together. I feel like we are really a team now, and we work so well together to care for her. He is an incredible father and is so involved in what she's doing. He's also extremely concerned for me and how I'm feeling and doing. It's so hard to find adequate words to thank him and tell him how much he means to me, but I will definitely continue trying.
- Mia has been to three restaurants in as many days and has behaved like the little angel she is. Mike and I took her for a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and met some of the neighbors. And today Mia had her first trip to T*rget with Amy and me.
- Missy and SP welcomed baby Cara into the world the very day after Mia was born. Cara is beautiful and she and Missy are doing great (as I knew they would!). They and cousin Jake all came to visit on Saturday. I'll post pictures when I can.
- Mawmaw and Pawpaw (Carol and Brent) also came to visit, as did Granny and Grampy (Mom and Bruce). Charlie and Mary came in from Nashville to see Mia and celebrate Pawpaw's birthday. Mia also saw her cousins Logan and Beau, as well as Aunt Kelly, Uncle Chris, Aunt Jenny and Matt and Reilly.
Before I go, I'd like to also congratulate Amy and Rob on the birth of RJ. Guess we're now the Pink Mommies???
No comments:
Post a Comment